Sunday, August 14, 2011

Teaching My Child About Not Getting Kidnapped...

OK, I don't want to scare him or anything, but I do want him to know what to do if he gets separated from me in a crowd, and screaming, "MOMMY!" at the top of his lungs is probably what he will do, but if I am not RIGHT THERE, he might need a better plan.

SO...I started off with just trying to teach him my name and his father's name. Since this is supposed to be more anonymous, I'll just call us: Will and Cindy McFarland.

A little bit of back story here: whenever Little M demonstrates his pretty impressive vocabulary, someone inevitably asks how old he is, and I answer, "He's two-and-a-half". So he's taken to doing the name. I'll ask how old he is, and he says, "He's two-and-half". He does sometimes know his full name, but sometimes that gets the two-and-half response, too.

So I'm trying for the second time to get him to practice his response to the What is your Mommy's name? etc., line of questioning, and this is how things went:

Me: ", What's Mommy's name?"
Him: "He's two-and-half"
Me: "No, what's MOMMY'S NAME?"
Him: "Mommy McFarland."
Me: ...

Well...it's definitely closer! I'll keep working on him. And I did put my cell number on the insole of all his shoes that that if someone cares enough to check, they can try to contact me. I'll try to point it out to him to tell someone that that's his mommy's phone number if he's lost to call her there. Hopefully he's old enough that it will work. Hopefully he'll never need to use it and this is all a "just in case exercise". Maybe I should talk to the police about what the best thing to do is.

No comments:

Post a Comment