Monday, April 27, 2009

Packing for an outing

I've found that trying to go anywhere with a baby is a major undertaking. There are just SO many things to bring, I feel like I'm packing for a weekend getaway even when we'll only be out of the house for two hours!

And I'm not even having to bring food or bottles because Little M is only eating cereal at this point and that's just morning and evenings. Also, I'm breastfeeding, and he won't really take it from a bottle, so I just have to bring the girls with me, and we're good to go. And although Big M would like me to leave the girls behind for him sometimes, that's just not a possibility. And I'm hoping that it's one that science will NOT catch up with. No woman really wants detachable boobs.

Back to packing. There's the diapers, the wipes, extra clothes, burp rags, pacifiers, and toys. And no matter what size diaper bag I use, it's always full by the time I leave the house. For tomorrow's outing we'll also need a blanket for him to play on, because God only knows what's on the floor of the room. And he's at the point where he sits, but sometimes rears back and will bump his head if I don't catch him, so I have to bring extra blankets to make a really thick pad for him to play on. And all of this has to fit in the stroller with him in the car seat. I'm actually looking forward to him being out of the car seat in the stroller, because then I'll have extra storage behind him when he's sitting up.

I just love how much fun he is these days. He laughs and smiles and coos and babbles. He was baptized a couple of weeks ago and was just so good during the service. He kept watching the priest like he was mesmerized. He's really good like that in regular church services too. People are always telling me how good he was that day. I know he wasn't being good just for that service, that's just how he is all the time, but I feel like that might be bragging. We are just really lucky to have this child in our lives, and Big M and I know it.

So I have all but the most important thing (the baby) packed up and ready to go for tomorrow. I have been trying to think ahead to packing for our out of town trip in May, but my head starts to spin when I think of the pack-n-play, the bath stuff, the baby monitor, etc. I know we're supposed to try to keep him on his regular schedule when we're out of town, but that's probably easier said than done. But we'll do our best. At least he'll be on schedule tomorrow, and we'll take the rest one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment