Thursday, August 27, 2009

General thoughts (it's long, I was thinking a bunch!)

My baby is going to be a year old in less than 8 weeks! I find that VERY hard to believe. He's so much fun right now, I just want to freeze this time and keep it going for a little while longer.

Of course, I felt that way last month too. I feel like taking pictures of all the moments doesn't capture the essence of the moment. I know the memories of all he's done so far will fade with time, and I'll really want to recall them when he's a teenager and getting on my last nerve. But right now he's just my little boy, my baby. He doesn't have an agenda for anything he does, he's just innocently curious.

I called his name at one point today and he seemed startled. It made me feel bad that I'd scared him, and it made me feel bad that just saying his name has that effect, like maybe I've been scolding him too often. But when I look at what we allow him to do versus his safety, I know that no matter how many times he tries (and no matter how much he wants it) there are certain things that are always going to be off limits. Cuteness never trumps electricity.

But there's a grey area too. A friend told me of how she let her child eat sand when they went to the beach. Now some might argue that there are all kinds of bacteria in sand that might not be a great idea to have baby injest, but after hearing the whole story, I have to say, I think she's brilliant.

The first day her child ate 5 handfuls of sand before he decided that it just did not taste good. The second day he ate 1 handful. The third day on he ate no sand at all. He had learned that it just did not taste good and he wanted nothing to do with it. How much easier was that lesson that saying "No, we don't eat sand." all week long??? Like I said, brilliant.

When I was bleary-eyed from lack of sleep I would wish that I knew the magic formula for getting Little M to go to bed. But there have been just as many nights that I'll be in bed trying to get to sleep that I'll think about how much I love him and sort of wish he'd wake up needing to nurse so I can spend time with him. Then I think about how happy a kid he is and reconsider messing with the Gods of Baby Sleep. They are vengeful indeed.

We put up the baby gates a few weeks ago. One out of three cats is able to get to all the same places she used to go before the gates were installed. The other two probably haven't seen the upstairs hallway in a few weeks. One of the cats was stuck in kitty jail (the stairway between the two gates) and wouldn't even come out when I gave the other cats treats just on the other side of the gate. They can jump up to the back of the sofa and loveseat, which are at least 50% higher than the gates, so I know they CAN jump it, THEY just don't know they can. They'll survive, though, as long as they don't get stuck in there for several hours. There's no food, water or litter box in kitty jail. It's definitly worse than regular jail. Not that I'd know firsthand...

Anyway, if you stuck it out this long, thanks, I am usually a little bit more organized, but tonight I'm just rambling. Love to all the mommies and daddies out there, and if you find that way to slow the growing up process, PLEASE let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment