Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Remembering the first two weeks of motherhood by myself (or "The Horror Film" Period)

I cannot believe that in a few weeks my baby will be one year old! It seems like we brought him home from the hospital just yesterday.

We were exhausted, had no idea how we were going to take care of this little person, thought the people who let us leave the hospital with him were clinically insane to thing we could do this. Then spent another exhausting week just trying everything under the sun to keep him happy.

Then came...the end of Daddy's time off. I was going to have to do it all ALONE! And when I finally had those stretches of time alone with our little bundle of joy, I started seeing whey they say that about babies!

I got to really listed to the noises he made, and saw that, YES! They were actual words (we'll, not in English, but words nonetheless), and he was TELLING ME that he was hungry. Or sleepy. Or uncomfortable (wet diaper, too hot, too cold, something's pinching me!) Or had gas. Or had to burp. Once I finally could hear those magic five words of baby language, it's like a light bulb went off. I finally had read the right instruction manual for my baby!

Now it's been 50 weeks later, and the noises don't sound the same, and now they come with gestures too, but we're still communicating. And we're all getting more sleep. Thank God for small miracles, especially ones like Little M.

No comments:

Post a Comment