Monday, September 5, 2011

I'm Naked!

I feel for those of you who have a child who refuses to wear clothes. Or one who takes OFF the clothes you have wrestled them into. I know not your pain.

My pain is that he likes to shout out "I'm NAKED!" and it's driving me up the wall!

Now, I actually have to nag my child into undressing himself every time we go into the bathroom for potty time, then help him back into his pants, and then nag him again every night before bath time. It usually goes something like this:

Me: OK, Little M, time to get undressed for the bath, can you take off your shirt?
Him: NO! You help me!
Me: I think you can do it, why don't you try?
Him: *grunting* Can you help me? (pulling one arm out of his shirt)
Me: You're doing it! Now do the other arm!
Him: *more grunting, shirt now wrapped around head* I'm a pirate!
Me: OK, take off your pants!
Him: *more grunting, takes shirt off head* I'm NAKED!

My problem is not that he spouts, "I'm NAKED!" at the drop of a hat, my problem is that it's not an accurate statement. I'd be fine with him saying that, any time, any place, IF IT WERE TRUE. (No, I really don't know WHY this bothers me so much, it just does.)

He still has his pants, diaper, and socks on at this point, so clearly he is not naked by any stretch of the imagination. He could even show up at some outdoor eating establishments, order food and be served so-attired. So not even in the ballpark, big guy!

So after my latest attempt at explaining this to him, I decided that I would attack it from another angle. I told him that he could say that he was "scantily clad". Then we practiced it. "I'm scantily clad! I'm scantily clad!" "Yes, you are."

I honestly can't wait till he busts that one out in public, and am currently thinking of more ways I can increase his vocabulary, and get rid of my own pet peeves in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment