Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Never mess with the Gods of Baby Sleep...

I should have known that the Gods of Baby Sleep do not take kindly to bragging about how long the baby slept.

Just like you never taunt the traffic Gods by bragging about how fast you were able to make any trip, they'll kick your butt the next time you're on the road.

And so for my punishment, I had to feed Little M at 10pm last night, but then we were good the rest of the night. However, for my punishment tonight, Little M will not go back down now after the 10 o'clock feeding. He just keeps crying with that "Mum-mum-mum-mum" sound that's just so sad. You'd think I was starving the poor child instead of just having spent 40 minutes of quite frankly PAINFUL breastfeeding because we just can't shake this infection.

And I know part of it is just that he's now old enough that he's figured out that if he cries enough, he can get what he wants, which is me holding and rocking him all night long. But I know that's not good for him, and he needs to know that he can put himself back to sleep.

So we are at an impasse. I can't go to bed with my poor child wailing, and he can't seem to get himself to sleep this time, even though his tummy is full and his diaper is dry. (And he's exhausted, he didn't open his eyes at ALL during the 40 minutes.)

Well, we've now exhausted the batteries in this baby monitor, I'm off to get the other one off the charger. Here's hopeing you're all having easier nights with the Baby Sleep Gods on your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment