Sunday, July 12, 2009

Learning the word "No"

Right after learning how to crawl and being able to get wherever he wanted, Little M learned that there are some places and things he's not allowed to go to/eat.

It started with him heading off the carpet onto the hardwood. I have no problem with that, but on the way, he stopped off at the TV tray holder, which is wooden, and tried to chew on it.

I told him "No", and he jerked his head up, then went back to chewing. I said it louder and firmer, and he jerked up again, only to resume crawling. Unfortunately for him, the holder has TWO legs on each side, so once again, temptation reared it's ugly head, and his head went down to suck on the other leg (which, technically, Mommy had not said "No" to yet...) So I said it again, slightly louder and slightly more forcefully, and Little M started to cry!

I don't know if it was because I was loud, or because I was clearly taking away something he wanted, but it appears the message got through. At almost 9 months old, Little M is now responding so that I don't have to say it as loud or as forceful as I did, which makes me feel better.

But I definitely have to say it like I mean it, or I get the response I was getting to the word "No" for the first eight and a half months of his life, a completely adorable giggle. Which just doesn't cut it for the crawling set. There's just too much trouble to get into for them.

Peace and love to all the Mommies (and Daddies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment